Wednesday, March 5, 2008

French Listening Party Review/ Update

Hey everyone, I'm still out of town, the funeral was today, thank God that He brought me through it, it was a great homegoing service. I tell you when I hear Bye Bye, I'm gonna cry some more, but I'm cut to the chase as I'm at the local library and wanna hurry back to the house with all the family.

A listening party to Mariah's new album was held in Paris, France yesterday (Monday, March 3rd). A DJ from one of the top R&B radio stations in Paris - Ado FM attended the party and wrote the following review, which was translated from French by Camelina.


• Loving You Long Time
They told us the track is not completely mixed yet, which happens sometimes. The track is very good, a nice first listening. It's a mid-tempo with old school influences. The song has a good use of violins and a very catchy chorus. This track doesn't sound like any other track from her previous album.

• Touch My Body
You already know this one, the famous "Touch My Body" first played by 'Ado' weeks ago. This title has the best beginning for a first single from Mimi in the USA since 1997. A big smash for a common title which is not the best album track for me.

• That Chick
'Ooh We eeh', remember this phrase well, it appears in this track produced by Stargate, who produced songs for Ne-Yo (So Sick), Beyonce (Irrepleceable) and Chris Brown (With You). It's a really fresh title. It has positive vibes. I was really seduced by this track which makes me think of "Because of You" by Ne-Yo but the diva brings a special touch with her to it, in a good way.

• For The Record
Having followed Mariah news recently, I jumped (positively) when I discovered the track because the music belongs to the commercial for Mariah's fragrance "M". I remember that when I first heard the music in the commercial, I secretly hoped that a longer version of it would be a song. The thing is now done and you will appreciate it. B. Cox is responsible for the production of this song ("Be Without You" by Mary J) which is definitely a future hit. The style perfectly fits Mimi and I hope that they will work together again in the future. The result is a potential smash hit with a nice vocal effort at the end. This future "classic" will be played endlessly in the Midnight Love.

• Migrate
The listening party follows with this track, it sounds hip-hop with a heavy sound. Danja at the production, is responsible along with Timblalnd for the latest hits by Timberlake, Furtado and co., offers to the diva a heavy and smashing track. Notice the T-Pain presence which brings a lot to the track and lends a vocoder to Mariah who uses it wonderfully when she sings "Migrate". It sounds like "Snap" in 'Buy You A Drank' but enhanced. Be ready to bounce on this title which is truly made for the clubs and which is another potential single.

• Side Effects
This is the second and last track still in the mixing process (Americans say work in progress). The new style is Dirty South I think (Ludacris, T.I, Young Jeezy). Young Jeezy is featured on this track and he gives the tone for the song from the very beginning with a "Yeahhhh" that gets us in the mood. If I remember well, I found the chorus very catchy "To walk away and don't regret it, but I still live with side effects". The lyrics are well written and serious. Mariah explains her course and the traps she got through all through the song. The song didn't immediately grow on me, but it probably needs a few more listenings.

• Love Story
Jermaine Dupri produced this track for the fans' pleasure who will certainly appreciate the track which sounds like a song from her previous album. The slow music makes me think of 'Until The End of Time' (Timberlake), probably due to the fact that a piano is very present.

• Cruise Control
JD once again is the producer on this summer track in which Mariah collaborates with Damian Marley and tries some Jamaican lyrics: "pon de gals on the block". I didn't find it odd and thought it worked well. The reggae style slowly carries the song which is original and surprising. Mariah spells "C.R.U.I.S.E Control" in the chorus.

• Thanks For Nothing
Mimi's voice is the spotlight of this other JD produced song. It's Mariah who says the famous "So So Def" here instead of her favorite producer. The keyboard use is very much like in "Always Be My baby". She sings "Oh Oh Oh Oh" which is very catchy, another song like the ones in the previous album.

• OOC
This track arrived at a perfect time (after 3 JD produced songs which were good but a bit too repetitive). Swizz Beats is the producer (Tambourine by Eve, Get me bodied, Ring The Alarm by Beyonce, and Touch It by Busta Rhymes) but surprisingly, the music is not agressive. I was particularly taken by this track which sounds fresh, original and retro at the same time. Nostalgia backs the song and hearing Mariah on this one is delightful, particularly when she pronounces the famous "OOC" which means Out Of Control. It's the first time I heard the diva sing a French sentence - "Je ne sais pas mais c'est la vie", preceded by another sentence in Spanish if I remember well. I adored it!

• Bye Bye
Stargate again is the producer with a slow jam track, slower than "That Chick" but it doesn't sound like Irrepleacable by Beyonce for example. It's more of a pure Mimi Style a-la "We Belong Together". The track is very sad, its theme is the loss of those we love. It sounds like a hit with a superb vocal finale.

• Last Kiss
JD is the producer of the final track of the listening party. A classic mid-tempo.

To sum it up, I think Mariah Carey successfully experimented with new sounds and new producers. That Chick, Migrate, Lovin You Long Time, For The Record and OOC are my favorite tracks. As for the JD and Mariah collaboration fanatics, you will be happy to hear Thanks For Nothing, Last Kiss and Love Story all produced by the two. I was disappointed by the fact that there's no Soul/Gospel song like only Mariah can deliver, but it's not the final cut of the album and maybe there will be changes before it is released.


I'll be back with you in a few days. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, they were felt. God bless.

Recordman

No comments: