Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Brett Ratner Talks About "Touch My Body" Video

Brett Ratner, the director of the upcoming "Touch My Body" music video called in to KIIS FM 102.7 in Los Angeles today at 9:05am PST and revealed some interesting facts about the video to Ryan Seacrest and the morning show crew. Ratner also confirmed that the video is scheduled to premiere on TV on Monday, February 25, 2008.
Below is a transcript of the interview:

Ryan Seacrest: "Touch My Body", it's Mariah Carey's new track. Randy Jackson's been working on this with her. Lots of buzz about Mariah's entire album. Single is called "Touch My Body" [Ryan plays the song and sings along with it]. So the video's gonna be coming, they're actually making the video or just completed the video, and Brett Ratner, famous movie director, is doing the video with Mariah, so it's gotta be great, I wanted to know how provocative it's gonna be, what do you do when you have lyrics like "Touch My Body" and Mariah Carey, what do you do? And what does she touch? That's what I wanted to ask him, so here he is. Brett, how are you baby?
Brett Ratner: I'm good, how are you guys?

RS: I'm good. Are you in the process of several things at once here?
BR: God, because of the strike... I love doing music videos, as you know, I'll never stop doing them as long as they keep asking, and Mariah of course is my buddy and she said "Brett, you gotta come hear my album, I want you to do this video" and I swear to God, she completely blew me away. I think it's the best album she's ever done. You know, I did "We Belong Together" so, I think she's won like three Grammys for it and I used of course my guy Wentworth Miller from my show "Prison Break".

RS: That guy pisses me off because he's too good looking.
BR: I know, right?

RS: We don't need him in our town.
BR: So I knew there was no way, unless I got you to be in the video, there was no way to top Wentworth Miller in this video.

RS: Well the problem's my abs are so big and tight right now. And I started talking about what the video, I listened to the lyrics, what the video might be like, and I read that you were gonna do the video, so now I'm dying to know the storyboards.
BR: I know, three people called me, they were like "they're talking about you and the video" and I said - you know what? I gotta call them and fill them in because it's too good.

RS: Is it that hot? 'Cause it could be so hot.
BR: This is like, I don't wanna exaggerate, but this is like when "Thriller" [by Michael Jackson] first came out. The anticipation.

RS: Is she wearing red?
BR: She's wearing red in one outfit. But I gotta tell you, I said, "you know Mariah, we gotta do..." - people don't know this, but Mariah is hysterical. I mean, she keeps me laughing all the time, and this record is kind of funny, it's called "Touch My Body", and to me I mean it was funny because I thought "There's no way we could do the video with just like the cute guy like Wentworth Miller and you singing to him "Touch My Body", people are gonna laugh." So I said let's really go with one of the funniest guys in the world, who I love, is this guy named Jack McBrayer, who's on 30 Rock. You know this guy?

RS: Yes, and that's a great show!
BR: He is hysterical. So we called him up, and it turns out, you know we call somebody and they're like "yeah, we don't wanna do music videos" but he turned out to be a huge Mariah fan, and he showed up, and I don't wanna give too much away but I gotta tell you, he is one of the funniest guys I've ever worked with. Ever. I mean hysterical.

RS: How does he get to be funny in a music video?
BR: Well, because his character, all I can say is that he fantasizes about what it would be like to be with Mariah.
RS: As do I.
BR: [laughs] And because Mariah, first of all, looks better than she's ever looked, I don't know if you've seen her in public. Have you seen her at all?

RS: Yeah, something's happened. I keep asking her what she's doing because I wanna do the same diet.
BR: No, it's ridiculous, she's been working out every day, she has this trainer that she flew in from St. Barths and this woman is like beating the hell out of her and her body, because she has an incredible body but she was always kind of like voluptuous, now she's just like fit. And she was like, we gotta show this body. So without kind of making fools of ourselves, we really took this all the way. Because we have a comedian like Jack, when it becomes fun and funny, you can go as far as you wanna go.

RS: When is this coming out bro?
BR: I just finished it last night, and I think the debut is next Monday [Feb. 25]. The problem is the record is so big right now, people are like "finish the video, finish the video!"

RS: That's the thing, we played the song a few days ago, and the video usually comes soon after, but you gotta rush this, right?
BR: I rushed it, we shot it in two days, I mean we've been talking about the way we do it is like we're two kids in a candy store. It's like ridiculous, 'cause the record company's really not involved, Mariah just called me and I flew to New York, I like literally, we spent like every night together for a week, like literally throwing ideas around, and then in the last minute we just came up with this idea, we flew back here [Los Angeles], and shot it, and I tell you, I've never had so much fun shooting a music video. When you guys see it, you're gonna flip out. You know what it is really? Truth is, it's a movie. It's not a music video, it's literally a movie. I love it. And by the way, the rest of her album is ridiculous. I think it's the best album she's ever done by far.

RS: E=MC2.
BR: MC².
RS: Oh, they didn't give me a little two, there's a big two. By the way girls, a squared would be a little two.
BR: By the way, we have dialogue in this video, it's hysterical.

Can't wait til Monday, the video sounds like it's gonna be hilarious and amazing.

Source: MariahDailyJoural

No comments: